You might be familiar with the romance of birthstones, but how well do you know birthstone gemology? Take our short quiz and learn about the composition, cutting, and value of birthstones.
What is My Birthstone?
Throughout history, people have given poetic meanings to different gemstones. Nowadays, our use of birthstones is probably the best-known example of this practice. Each month has a special stone assigned to it. For those born in a particular month, that month’s gem purportedly acts as a “good luck” charm. Of course, birthstones and their meanings vary across cultures. Below you’ll find a list of birthstones commonly used in English speaking countries.
|October||Rose Zircon||Tourmaline or Opal|
|November||Golden Topaz or Citrine||Topaz|
|December||Blue Zircon or Tanzanite||Turquoise or Lapis|
- How Well Do You Know Your Birthstone Gemology? – IGS
- Amethyst Symbolism and Legends – International Gem Society
- What Exactly Is “14 Karat” Gold?
- “Pearls” of Wisdom: Different types of Pearls in Jewelry Making
- Metals 101
- Ancient Roman Glass: Wearable History