1. Propaganda! Animal Farm
- Propaganda techniques are the methods used to spread ideas that further a cause (political, commercial, religious, or civil cause)
- Appeals to emotion, not intellect.
3. Why Used?
- To manipulate viewers’ reason and emotions
- To persuade you to believe in something or someone
- Buy an item
- Vote a certain way.
- Twist or distort the truth
4. Types of Propaganda
- Name Calling
- General Terms
- Fine Print
- Plain Folks
- Card Stacking
- Either/or fallacy
- Appeal to emotion
- Ad nauseum
5. Ad Hominem (Name Calling)
- Attacking the person not the idea
- To avoid supporting their own opinion, people will try and tear somebody down as a means of propaganda.
6. Glittering Generalities
- Words that have an unclear meaning – they sound great but nobody is sure of what they mean
- Napoleon says “adjustment” instead of the term “reduction” to the animals’ food supplies
- A talented person endorses product as related to talent.
- An American Flag used as a back drop for political event makes it seem patriotic to support it.
- A famous person says that he or she likes or uses it.
- Ask yourself:
- How much so they really know about it?
- What do they gain from promoting it?
9. Plain Folks
- Ordinary people say they like it or support it.
- Technique uses a folksy approach to convince people to support it.
10. Card Stacking (Omission)
- ½ truth – key words may be omitted to slant the message.
- Unfavorable stats may not be communicated
- A company doesn’t need to tell the whole truth
- Because everyone else is doing it, you should too or you’ll be left out!
- All the cool kids are doing it.
12. Either/or Fallacy
- Black-and-white thinking; only two choice presented.
- You’re either for it or against it!
- No shades of gray presented
13. Fine Print
- Positive information in bold print; negative information in small print.
- 9 out of ten doctors recommend it!
- may cause temporary loss of hearing and eyesight.
14. Appeal to Emotion
- Stirs up strong feelings (positive or negative) rather than giving logical reasoning.
15. Ad Nauseum
- Repetition of a slogan
- I’m lovin’ it.
16. Propaganda in Animal Farm
- Old Major’s Speech (pg. 27-34)
- Mystery of the Milk
- Apples for the pigs
- Military decorations
- Debate over the windmill
- Squealer – justifying Napoleon’s takeover of the farm.
- Squealer – The windmill was Napoleon’s idea all along.
- Four legs good, two legs bad.
- Animal Farm trading with humans
- Pigs moving into farmhouse.
- Making Snowball the scapegoat
- No more “Beasts of England”
- Napoleon giving himself a medal
- Boxer being taken by the knacker
Recommended Readings :
- Spies Like Us | The Manifesto 👀IS GOOGLE MANIPULATING ITS ALGORITHM TO PRIORITIZE LEFT-LEANING NEWS OUTLETS IN THEIR COVERAGE OF PRESIDENT TRUMP?
- Democrats Are Powerless to Keep Trump From Pointing out How They Have Failed Baltimore“Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous,” Trump wrote. “His district is considered the Worst in the USA.”
- URGENT- Rep. Tlaib Attacking Declaration Of Independence – Douglas DucoteMilitary Veteran Douglas Ducote discusses Muslim Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib attacking the Declaration of Independence on the 4th of July.
- SLAVE REGISTERS FROM LONDON Name The Slaves Kamala Harris’ Ancestor Owned – Big League PoliticsDemocrat presidential candidate Kamala Harris is descended from Irish slave owner Hamilton Brown, the namesake of Brown’s Town in Jamaica, who recruited massive numbers of Irish migrants to Jamaica to work on his sugar plantations after the British empire abolished slavery. Kamala Harris’ father Donald Harris wrote an essay entitled “Reflections of a Jamaican Father” … Read More
- Facebook details efforts to prepare for 2020 elections, Census disinformation – CBS NewsThe social network said it's working to prevent a repeat of the chaos of the 2016 election cycle
- BREAKING NEWS TRUMP 4AM 6/30/19 | Fox News Jun 30, 2019Another Amazing Speech by President Donald J, Trump