Write your own holiday story with these fine crafted pieces. Get in the holiday spirit! Explore our holiday catalog for amazing savings on many beautiful sterling silver and 14 karat gold plated sterling silver jewelry pieces and make the season bright.
- How Well Do You Know Your Birthstone Gemology? – IGSby Donald Clark, CSM IMG You might be familiar with the romance of birthstones, but how well do you know birthstone gemology? Take our short quiz and learn about the composition, cutting, and value of birthstones.
- Amethyst Symbolism and Legends – International Gem SocietyLong ago, a beautiful maiden was on her way to worship at the Temple of Diana. However, she had the misfortune of crossing paths with the god of wine, Bacchus. Angered since he’d just suffered some slight, he’d vowed to take revenge on the next person he met. He spied the maid and unleashed his two guardian tigers upon her. As the great beasts bounded towards the hapless lass, the goddess Diana intervened. To spare her such a terrible fate, she turned her into a pure, clear stone.
- What Exactly Is “14 Karat” Gold?Like fine silver, fine gold is alloyed with other metals to improve strength and durability. The amount of fine gold used is traditionally measured in karats. “Pure gold” is represented as 24 karat. In its pure state gold is quite soft and is rarely used for jewelry.
- Metals 101With the cost of precious metals like gold and silver rising, alternative metals allow designers to continue to craft bold statement pieces while keeping costs down. From trendy pieces to wedding bands that will last a lifetime, high-quality alternative metal jewelry has carved out a permanent place in the jewelry market.
- “Pearls” of Wisdom: Different types of Pearls in Jewelry MakingAlmost all pearl jewelry in the marketplace today is made up of cultured pearls which means they were produced with human assistance by oysters or other mollusks at a pearl farm as opposed to being found by divers.