What Exactly Is “14 Karat” Gold?
Like fine silver, fine gold is alloyed with other metals to improve strength and durability. The amount of fine gold used is traditionally measured in karats. “Pure gold” is represented as 24 karat. In its pure state gold is quite soft and is rarely used for jewelry.
The most common gold alloys used in the United States are 14 karat and 18 karat. 14 karat gold consists of 58.3 percent fine gold. 18 karat gold consists of 75 percent fine gold.
What Is Gold Filled Jewelry?
Gold filled jewelry is made up of gold tubing, which is then filled with brass. This gives the item the look and feel of gold jewelry, at a much more affordable price. Our gold filled jewelry has about 100 times more gold than gold-plated jewelry, so the gold surface will not flake, peel, or wear off.
What Metals Are Used for Virgo Starlight’s Gold Plated Items?
Unless otherwise noted, our gold-plated items consist of sterling silver with 14 karat gold plating. Items marked as fashion jewelry do not contain precious metal, except for plating. Gold plated fashion jewelry items consist of base metal (often brass, for example) plated with 14 karat gold.
- How Well Do You Know Your Birthstone Gemology? – IGSby Donald Clark, CSM IMG You might be familiar with the romance of birthstones, but how well do you know birthstone gemology? Take our short quiz and learn about the composition, cutting, and value of birthstones.
- Amethyst Symbolism and Legends – International Gem SocietyLong ago, a beautiful maiden was on her way to worship at the Temple of Diana. However, she had the misfortune of crossing paths with the god of wine, Bacchus. Angered since he’d just suffered some slight, he’d vowed to take revenge on the next person he met. He spied the maid and unleashed his … Read more
- What Exactly Is “14 Karat” Gold?Like fine silver, fine gold is alloyed with other metals to improve strength and durability. The amount of fine gold used is traditionally measured in karats. “Pure gold” is represented as 24 karat. In its pure state gold is quite soft and is rarely used for jewelry.
- “Pearls” of Wisdom: Different types of Pearls in Jewelry MakingAlmost all pearl jewelry in the marketplace today is made up of cultured pearls which means they were produced with human assistance by oysters or other mollusks at a pearl farm as opposed to being found by divers.
- Metals 101With the cost of precious metals like gold and silver rising, alternative metals allow designers to continue to craft bold statement pieces while keeping costs down. From trendy pieces to wedding bands that will last a lifetime, high-quality alternative metal jewelry has carved out a permanent place in the jewelry market.
- Ancient Roman Glass: Wearable HistoryBreathtaking aqua colored glass pieces made from authentic ancient glass dating back to the Roman Empire, recovered from archaeological sites in Israel.
Categories: Jewelry Guides & Info